Portfolio Coat

Salut chéries!  I am submitting my portfolio tomorrow and I finished my coat the other day.  It doesn’t have a lining in it yet and also I haven’t added the belt yet.  It’s a little different from my original design, a little smoother but I love it!  My mom is modelling it here.

Coat Front View

Front View


Closeup of cuff and chest


As I said before I used a Vogue pattern and I found it was pretty good, but a little confusing at times.  However it was altogether pretty easy to follow.  The reason it’s not as full around the bottom as I had imagined is because I found that anytime I tried to adjust it too much from the pattern it started to not look right.  I think it’s because there are so many panels and seams that everything just starts to bunch and not look right.  So I’ll have to keep playing with it and working on it to get the fit just right.  I’m not giving up on my original design just yet so I will keep you updated!




Winter Coat

Salut chéries!  So I’ve applied to Ryerson University this year, to the Fashion program and part of the portfolio requirements is to create a garment, so I designed this coat.  Now, I don’t know if I’ve been accepted for a portfolio application yet so I’m really doing this for myself and if the university wants to see my portfolio, this coat is definitely going to be a part of it.


My design for a winter jacket.

Anyway, this is the design I drew, but since I know nothing about making my own patterns I decided to find a similar pattern at the fabric store and adapt it to my design.  I ended up using a Vogue pattern that I found at the same time I found my fabric, which was on clearance for an amazing price!  I was able to get enough fabric for two coats and it only cost me about $40!


My clearance fabric!

I absolutely wanted purple fabric.  I think it’s a breath of fresh air to have a bright coloured coat.  I haven’t finished it yet, but it’s getting there!  Stay tuned for the final product, I sure can’t wait to see it myself.

Wish me luck on my application process!



DIY Shoe Sole Refashion

Salut chéries!  I was rooting through my closet the other day when I came across a pair of heels that I’d nearly forgotten about.  They really are adorable, they have the cutest little bows on them and pretty silver lace.  They go with so much and they aren’t too high!  Just perfect for a long night out on your feet.  Anyway, the soles were pretty disgusting looking and my first thought was, ‘I can’t go out with them looking like this!’  So naturally I decided it was time for a little modge podge and colour!  They were in desperate need of a fix up and it was the perfect occasion to add a pop of colour of one of my favourite pieces.  I first wiped down the soles with rubbing alcohol (I heard this makes paint stick better), then I put on about two or three coats of this gorgeous lavender paint I found in a drawer.  I originally wore them with no coat of modge podge thinking that it would be okay for one night if I was sitting the whole time.  BOY WAS I WRONG.  There was no paint left by the time I got home afterwards!!  I spent the next day repainting the soles and then I added two coats of modge podge for extra protection against scuffing.  They turned out really great and they look much better than the ugly scuffed soles from before!  I have yet to wear them with the coats of modge podge but I can’t wait to find out what happens!  My tips when attempting a project like this:

1. Make sure the coats are dry before putting on the next one

2. Tape the sides of the shoes so the paint stays where it’s supposed to

3. I used a silver sharpie and went around the edge of the sole because my originally black soles had left a black lip around the shoe.  The silver sharpie was the same colour as the shoes so it blended in really well, and no more black line!


Until the next project!